7.13.2012

Human Sign Post

At the beginning of this month my pastor spoke about allegiance.  Actually, the title of his message was,  "I Pledge Allegiance".  In his message he asked the question, "To whom or to what do you really pledge your allegiance?"  He answered that question by saying that the goal of our allegiance should be our relationship with God. 

"When you make a vow to the Lord your God, you shall not delay to pay it; for the Lord your God will surely require it of you , and it would be a sin to you.  But if you abstain from vowing, it shall not be a sin to you.  That which has gone from your lips you shall keep and perform, for you voluntarily vowed to the Lord your God what you have promised with your mouth."  Deuteronomy 24:21-23

He shared that Godly allegiance includes proper priorities. Pastor went on to say that every area of your life will be affected by your relationship with Jesus. Then he said something that pierced my heart, he said the marriage relationship is a human sign post to our relationship with Christ.  How we treat our spouse is how we treat God. Wow, maybe that's not true in your life but unfortunately it was true that Sunday morning in my life. 

I'm so ashamed to admit I was slacking in pursuing my relationship with Christ, whom I have voluntarily verbally professed as my savior. I wasn't reading my Bible or praying except for the routine meal prayers.  And yes, I was slacking in pursuing my relationship with my husband, to whom I had voluntarily vowed, before God and many witnesses, to love, honor and respect.  I was just coasting through our relationship expecting him to love, honor and cherish me ignoring the promises I had made.

Wow, every time I read that paragraph above I just want to delete it and delete it again. It is so, so, so, so ugly!

Thankfully, the lesson doesn't end there.  God loves me and you so much that he wants to expose the ugly in our lives, not to embarrass and humiliate us but to cleanse us and heal us.  To make us better, more like Christ.  The Bible says in 1 John 1:9, "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."  I confessed, He forgave. 
Thankfully, my non-grudge holding husband was quick and willing to forgive me as well.  Oh, sweet forgiveness!

Wild flowers my hubby picked for me!

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful flowers for a beautiful message.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful and honest reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for being transparent Michelle. Thank you also for the message reminder.

    ReplyDelete